DIY Farmhouse Coffee Table

Back in Meridian while Rob was on the weapons detachment, I knew that I needed a project to keep me busy.  While Blair and I were in Atlanta, I got a wild hair idea to build a coffee table for our living room.  I've never built furniture before but while we were walking through Ikea, I decided that I could buy a basic, cheap table and then fancy it up to match our style.  How hard could it be, right?!
 photo IMG_6408.jpg
The project turned out to be a much bigger one than I expected.  I initially thought I would just stain a few boards and use wood glue to adhere them to the table surface however building an actual tabletop turned out to be a much better idea in the long run.  Let's face it, this table is going to have to survive military movers - it had to be sturdy!  Although the workers at Lowe's had very little patience for me, you can truly learn anything on YouTube.  I watched numerous video tutorials on drill pocket holes and the kreg jig is now probably my favorite tool ever!
 photo IMG_6323.jpg
As for a tutorial, there are much better and more detailed ones out there on the internet than I could ever write.  I'm not great at following directions and since I don't really have carpentry skills, a lot of it was over my head.  That means when it came to this project, I kind of just winged it!  Luckily, it all turned out!
 photo IMG_6363.jpg
I used the Lack table from Ikea in white because I wanted to keep the legs white.  I built the top to fit the table (no real directions on the building part: I just cut the pieces to fit and drilled pocket holes everywhere to hook everything together!) and then stained it using Minwax Classic Gray and Walnut (letting the stain sit for 10 minutes then wiping with a rag and letting dry between coats).
 photo acc72ebd-264b-4c9a-aab6-c4a3432c6597.jpg
Considering the price of (albeit gorgeous!) coffee tables from Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn, this baby was a steal.  It also kept me busy and gave me something to brag about accomplishing when Rob came home from the DET.  Win-win!  Plus it survived the move to Beaufort without a scratch!

4 comments

  1. That turned out really nice. I'm glad you opted to create something a little more durable for all your moves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love that it slips right on top of the IKEA table making it interchangeable. Now you can build multiple tabletop covers with different stains that you can switch out depending on your decor and mood.

    LIFE AS YOU LIVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I'm not handy enough with power tools to try something this big.

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Reddy Or Knot . Design by Fearne.