G E T A W A Y :: San Diego

Since Rob's sister Erin lives in San Diego and we have been talking about visiting forever, we decided to take advantage of the week after his last summer off and go for the entire week.  Rob and I both lived in San Diego when we were younger so we just love it and couldn't wait to go back (I was actually born there and lived there twice!)  It worked out perfect because we were able to fly back with Erin right after the wedding AND since it was the week of the fourth she was off of work Wednesday-Sunday!
Image and video hosting by TinyPicOur flight got delayed on Sunday due to storms in Atlanta so we didn't end up getting in until like 2:30 in the morning.  Needless to say we were all quick to fall asleep.

Monday
Erin had to work on Monday so Rob and I had lunch at Kensington Cafe which is just a short walk from her house.  We spent the afternoon lounging in the backyard reading.  Her backyard has an amazing view and it was the perfect way to relax and enjoy the weather.  (It was a gorgeous 72 degrees while it was pushing 106 back home in Virginia)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
When Erin got home, we went to George's at the Cove in La Jolla for dinner and drinks.  Although it was cloudy and we didn't get to see much of a sunset, it was an absolutely stunning view and the food is so yummy.  We split toffee bread pudding for dessert and I would recommend it to anyone!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Tuesday
This was my favorite day of the whole trip!!  Erin had to work again on Tuesday but we drove her to work so that we could have her car for the day.  We relaxed all morning and watched too many re-runs of Laguna Beach, then brought her lunch (Togo's!) at work.  Rob and I went to Coronado and walked around the town and on the beach.  We even got ice cream at the Hotel Del Coronado.  It was such a perfect afternoon.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
That night we got ready and had dinner and drinks at the US Grant hotel.  I absolutely loved this place. It was so cute and posh but the people were so incredibly nice.  After a couple glasses of champagne and splitting some appetizers, we walked a couple of blocks down to the theater to see WICKED!!  We drank some "wicked witch" margaritas outside and then went in to our seats.  I don't know where I have been but I have never seen it or even read it before.  I fell in love with the show.  Glenda was so funny and I just loved the entire story (and the music!!)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Wednesday
Fourth of July!  We decided to do the "Red, White, and Brew" bar crawl in downtown San Diego.  We  had In n Out for lunch and then took a cab to the city around 1:30.  There were fourteen bars on the list and somehow we managed to do 12/14!!  In case you missed it, San Diego's fireworks were a huge mistake and all shot off at the same time.  We were inside a bar and heard them so we went running out to try and see some but they were already over and there was just so much smoke everywhere.  We couldn't believe it when we saw the footage the next day!  Our friend Kelly is in the Navy and she just got stationed in San Diego so it was so fun to see her when she met up with us for the last few bars!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Thursday
Somehow I survived the bar crawl but Rob and Erin were struggling the next day so we had a low key day.  We had brunch at Snooze where the OMG french toast might be the most delicious thing I have ever eaten (salted caramel, agave strawberries, mascarpone cheese...unreal).  We had dinner at Carnitas Snack Shack which is a crazy pork restaurant with huge portions and then went to the suspension bridge.  We called it an early night and made s'mores on the fire pit in Erin's backyard.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicFriday
Somehow I forgot to take a picture but we had california burritos at "the barn" for lunch.  I have heard so much about them but somehow never had one...they were pretty delicious.  You can't go wrong with a burrito that has french fries in it!  Then we drove to Temecula to go wine tasting.  There are SO many huge wineries all on the same road, it is insane.  We went to two of the wineries and it was interesting to see how different they run than the ones in Virginia.  I love wine so I like them both :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
We came home and napped and then Erin and I went to the dry bar.  I had been dying to go and unable to wait until September when one finally comes to DC, this was the perfect thing to hold me over (and add to my obsession).  We had dinner at burger lounge and then went out to Syrah.  Kelly and her roommate met up with us again and we had so much fun dancing.
Image and video hosting by TinyPicSaturday
We woke up Saturday morning and had brunch at JRDN in Pacific Beach.  We walked around the beach for a little while and just relaxed with some blood orange mimosas.  That night we went to a Padres game at Petco stadium.  We were so surprised when Charlie Sheen threw out the first pitch (haha)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Sunday
We went back to Coronado to lay on the beach for our last day in San Diego.  We had sandwiches from Big Front Door and tried to catch some sun!  We packed and had pizza for dinner.   For our last hurrah, we went to extraordinary desserts for, duh, dessert.  I cannot even explain how amazing this place is.  I had the most amazing dame chocolate cake and Rob's berry croissant bread pudding was to die for.  I wish the pictures did it justice!  We flew out on a red eye and were back in Virginia on Monday just as the 100+ degree heat was gone!

7 comments

  1. OH SO MUCH FUN!! Take me with next time?? ;-) I just LOVE San Diego, one of my favorite cities. Last time we were there I met up with one of my friends and at the time, she had an apartment on Coronodo Island. Just gorgeous. So fun that you got to see Wicked too! I've had the wicked witch drink before too :-) You looked so cute in all of the photos! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a fun trip! I'm dying to visit San Diego - now I want to go even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/11/2012

    Looks like you guys had a blast!

    I'd love to feature this post on our San Diego-based site. Email me for details!

    shondra (at) dwellable (dot) com

    Thanks!
    Shondra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to go to San Diego again. I went a while ago. Never really experienced too much. My family is in San Marcos so I always just go there.

    kristen
    www.beholdthemetatron.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love San Diego. It's been a long time since I last visited...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, this looks like a blast!! I love SD! Planning on celebrating my birthday there next month :)

    I'm your newest follower. Nautical By Nature's Kate suggested I check you out because I just started WW. I've browsed your posts...amazing!! Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love SD! Since we live in Phoenix, it's like a hop-skip-and-jump away for us. It's so nice to go there to get out of the heat! Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Reddy Or Knot . Design by Fearne.