DIY Headboard (No Saw Needed!)

After months of lusting over gorgeous studded headboards like the ones from Pottery BarnCrate and Barrel, and Restoration Hardware but not being willing to spend close to $2,000 on a headboard, I knew it was time to take on this DIY project.  I pinned numerous tutorials but kept running into the same problem -- I do not own a saw.  And even if I could get my hands on a saw, my third story apartment was not exactly conducive to woodwork!  Not willing to give up on this headboard, I had to get creative.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I decided to use canvases as the base of my headboard.  Since they are already framed in wood, I figured they would be sturdy enough to hold yet easy enough to use without requiring power tools.  I measured my bed (queen size) and found canvases with measurements that worked evenly with the width of my bed.  I ordered all of my supplies from Amazon so everything was delivered straight to my door.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Supplies I used:
Three 24x36 inch Canvases (here
One 81x96 inch Batting (here)
Staple gun and 1/2 in Wood Staples (here)
One Canvas Drop Cloth
Two Packages of Upholstery Nailhead Trim (here
Directions:
Staple canvases together on front and back side.  Fold batting in half to double up and smooth flat.  Lay canvases on top and wrap batting over canvases and staple tightly.  Next, lay drop cloth (or any fabric) smooth and staple tightly over canvases.  Be sure to continue to pull taut and smooth as you staple to ensure smooth front.  Flip canvases over and add nailhead trim.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Coming in at only $95 (including the staple gun!), I was thrilled with the finished product!  Since several moves are in our near future, I did not nail the headboard to our bed.  I simply rested the headboard on our bedside tables and haven't had any problems with it moving at all.  Time to tack my next project :)

2 comments

  1. This looks really good! I love the monogram pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO impressed! Please come to my house and do this for me. I am so not good at DIY! :)

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Reddy Or Knot . Design by Fearne.